I love lemons. I say when you get a big bag of lemons, you make as many sweet and savoury lemon recipes as you can! This includes that best blueberry lemon loaf cake I’ve ever had.
I have made this recipe multiple times and have gotten the seal of approval each time! The original lemon loaf recipe is actually from a 30+ year old community cookbook from a small town in Manitoba where my mother-in-law grew up. I need to thank her for lending me this (and other cookbooks) because they are full of gems (and oddities) that I’ve enjoyed reading and testing out. From jello salads with vegetables in it (I’m not sure if I would like it - have you tried a recipe like this?) to Greek Moussaka (so delicious), old cookbooks are a great source of inspiration.
Back to the delicious loaf cake - it is so tender, it just melts in your mouth and it’s so full of bright, tart lemon and sweet blueberry flavour! I love the look of the blueberry swirls that form as the loaf bakes so each slice is a little different. The simple lemon glaze on top gives the loaf a thin crust with that extra lemon zing! Why not eat a slice or two with a cup of coffee or tea?
All the ingredients for this loaf cake! Amounts are listed in the "Ingredients" section below.
In the pan ready to be baked.
Baked! The outside is so golden-brown! I used a fork to poke holes on top before pouring on the simple lemon glaze.
After the loaf cake is mostly cooled down, remove from the pan and cut into slices. Check out how moist and fluffy it looks and the pretty blueberries throughout.
Serve it with some coffee (or tea or milk) for breakfast or dessert! Enjoy!
Classic Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake
Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 70 minutes Servings: 12 slices (one loaf cake)
For the loaf cake:
- ½ cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter, soften
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup (8 oz.) fresh blueberries
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 lemon (¼ cup), juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a 8x4 (or 9x5) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Add the milk and eggs then mix until combined.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt together and then slowly add to the batter in batches, whisking in between, until well incorporated and the batter is smooth. Using a spatula, gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, mix together the glaze ingredients until the sugar dissolves into the lemon juice. Take a fork or toothpick and poke holes over the top of the loaf before pouring the glaze over the top of the hot loaf. Let it cool before removing from the pan. Slice and serve.
- Store cooled loaf cake tightly wrapped with plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 4 days.