Make the sauce by first stirring in milk and flour, then adding butter, cheese, and herbs and spices.
Mandoline or cut the potatoes into thin slices. Layer the potatoes and sauce into a greased baking dish; starting with potatoes and ending with potatoes (about 6 layers). Top with parmesan cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for another 30-40 minutes until potatoes are cooked and cheese is golden.
Creamy Potato Cheese Gratin
Active time: 25 min Total Time: 1 hr 45 min Servings: 4-6
- 2 large baking potatoes (2-3 pounds), peel and thinly slice into ⅛ inch slices
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded (or any kind of melting cheese such as Gorgonzola and Monterey Jack)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, crumbled or grated
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
- Peel and slice potatoes. Use a mandoline or food processor to quickly create thin uniform slices.
- Using a small bowl, mix together the flour and milk.
- Using a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour-milk mix stirring constantly with a whisk. Add in herbs and stir it in. Stir in Fontina cheese and continue whisking until cheese melts. Add in salt and pepper and remove from heat once the sauce thickens.
- Using a greased 9x9-baking dish, add ¼ of the potato to the bottom of the dish, arranging the potatoes so that they slightly overlap one another. Spoon a third of your sauce over the potatoes. Repeat layers twice more. Add remaining potato layer on the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and put it back in the oven for another 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is golden on top. Wait 10 minutes for potatoes to cool slightly before serving.
- You can substitute the milk and flour mix for heavy cream to up the creamy factor, but it will also up the fat factor by a lot too.