Gather your ingredients.
Peel carrots and core the apple. Cut slices into matchstick sizes. In a bowl, mix together other ingredients and then add the parsley, carrots, and apple. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more. Plate and enjoy!
Healthy Apple Carrot Slaw
Active time: 10 min Total time: 1 hr 10 min Servings: 4 as a side
- 1 gala apple, cored and julienned
- 2 small carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely diced
- 3 tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp of sugar
- ½ tsp salt
After coring the apple and peeling the carrots, julienne the two ingredients. You can with use a knife or use a food processor with a julienne attachment. Then, coarsely chop the parsley.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cider vinegar, sugar, and salt. Then add in the apple, carrot and parsley.
Gently fold all ingredients together until the carrot and apple is completely coated in sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. This will allow the flavours to marry and for the flavours to enhance.
- Eat it on its own or as a topping for a burger or sandwich such as a pulled pork sandwich.
- “Julienne" is a knife technique used to cut ingredients such as carrots and zucchini into thin strips that resemble matchsticks. I am no expert, but I gave it a try.
- Here is a video showing the technique: How to Julienne