This is one of Scott’s all-time favourite desserts! From vending machines to bake sales, he is always picking the puffed wheat square as his dessert or snack of choice! We tried to make a version using corn syrup and brown sugar, which was very good, but we found the texture to be crunchier than the soft, gooey squares Scott is so fond of. After some experimentation, we decided to replace those two ingredients with marshmallows just like Rice Krispies Squares!
The outcome was just what we were looking for! Soft and chewy chocolate squares that you can make in a hurry. The white chocolate topping adds that extra bit of deliciousness to the squares, but feel free to leave it out or substitute with another topping of your choice like melted milk or dark chocolate, peanut butter frosting, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts!
This recipe comes together fast so it’s better to have all the ingredients ready before starting. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Make sure to check out the quick 33 second recipe video of this no-bake treat!
The ingredients to make yummy chocolate marshmallow puffed wheat squares! Total amounts in the "Ingredients" list below.
Make it even more decedent by drizzling melted white chocolate on top! Total time to make this is 10 minutes!
Cut it into as many pieces as you like!
Soft and chewy! Enjoy!
Chocolate Marshmallow Puffed Wheat Squares
Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 10 minutes Servings: 15-20
For the puffed wheat squares:
- 3 tbsp (1.5 oz) tbsp butter, unsalted, plus more for greasing pan
- 4 cups marshmallows
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups puffed wheat
For the topping:
- 1 cup white chocolate melting wafers
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or canola oil
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and set aside.
- In a large (8-quart) pot at low heat, melt the butter. Add in the marshmallows, stirring frequently until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Stir in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract, incorporating the ingredients well.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add in the puffed wheat. Stir to coat the puffed wheat with the rest of the ingredients before turning it out into a 9x13 pan. Using your fingers, press the mixture down to form an even layer in the pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, place the white chocolate and oil and microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Drizzle the chocolate on top of the puffed wheat and let it set before cutting it into bars.
- This recipe comes together quickly so make sure to measure out the ingredients prior to making the bars.