I crave pasta weekly. It’s such a go-to meal that I wonder why I don’t have even more pasta recipes on this site. I need to start posting more pasta recipes! Cheers for pasta and it’s delicious and carbalious ways! Not so good for my waistline, but everything in moderation, I say.
This recipe is a take on Cacio E Pepe, which literally translates to cheese and pepper. It’s one of the simplest recipes with minimal ingredients (pasta, cheese, black pepper, and fat), allowing each ingredient to really shine.
The quick flavourful garlic roasted sweet cherry tomatoes and aromatic basil add another dimension of flavour that goes really well with the pasta. I finish with even more parmesan cheese because I can’t get enough of it. The tomatoes are roasted at the same time you prepare the pasta so you don’t spend too much extra time in the kitchen as well.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Halved cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Amounts in ingredients list.
Heat the oven to 400 F. Toss the ingredients and roast for 15-18 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and wilted.
Whole wheat spaghetti, butter, basil, olive oil grated parmesan, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Amounts in Ingredients list.
Boil the pasta in salted water, until just before al dente. Drain save 1 cup of pasta water.
Heat a large skillet at medium-high heat, add butter, olive oil, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, until the butter is melted.
Reduce the stove temperature to low, stir in 1/4 cup pasta water and then add the pasta and cheese. Stir and toss the pasta to coat, adding a tablespoon of pasta water at a time until you get your desired sauce consistency.
Gently add in the roasted tomatoes and half the basil. Plate and top with the remaining basil, extra cheese (I added in a lot because... cheese), and salt and pepper to taste.
Black Pepper & Parmesan Spaghetti with Garlic Roasted Tomatoes
Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Servings: 2
For the roasted tomatoes:
- 1 cup (5 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the pasta:
- 4 oz. whole wheat spaghetti (or regular)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for topping
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- For the roasted tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the ingredients for the roasted tomatoes on a baking sheet and mix together. Roast for 15-18 minutes, until the tomatoes are softened and wilted in appearance.
- For the pasta: Meanwhile, boil salted water and cook pasta according to package directions, minus 1 minute to keep the pasta al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a large skillet at medium-high heat, add the olive oil, butter, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if you want), swirling the pan, until the butter is melted.
- Reduce the temperature to low heat and stir in a ¼ cup of pasta water before adding in the pasta and parmesan cheese. Using tongs, toss and stir the pasta until the cheese is melted and the pasta is well coated. Add a tablespoon of pasta water at a time to get to get to your desired saucy consistency.
- Gently toss in the roasted tomatoes and half of the chopped basil. Plate and sprinkle the remaining basil and additional parmesan cheese on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Adapted from Bon Appetit's Cacio e Pepe recipe