The weather is getting a little warmer lately here in Alberta (okay, it snowed a bit today, but it melted away in no time…Yay!). The grill is officially out of hibernation, and spicy grilled chicken has already been made.
One of my favourite side dishes to go with chicken is a super easy to put together cucumber salad. It’s also a fantastic side dish for other meats and fish too!
I used a vegetable peeler to get the thinly sliced cucumber pieces and a knife to slice the radishes and onions, but a sharp knife or a mandoline can also be used for slicing the vegetables. Why peel instead of slice? I like the presentation a little better than the regular circle slices down the length of the cucumber, but either way would work amazingly!
The homemade dressing comes together quickly and is a lovely, refreshing accompaniment to the salad due to the fresh lime and mint in the dressing. It complements the cooling cucumber, while cutting down the mild bite that you get from the radishes and red onions.
The amounts below are what I used in this recipe, but like all salads, feel free to change up the quantities according your personal taste. Although not stated in this recipe, another ingredient that would go well in this salad is feta cheese to add a little more creaminess and saltiness to the salad or a pinch of fresh dill for that distinctive flavour.
The ingredients! Amounts listed in the “Ingredients” list below.
Place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
All the ingredients are ready to assemble into one big salad. You don’t need to have all the ingredients in separate bowls; just one big bowl!
Drizzle the lime-mint yogurt dressing with the vegetables.Gently toss to coat the salad (I do this just prior to eating).
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
For the salad:
- 4 cups (10 oz) English cucumbers* (I used the mini variety), shaved
- ¾ cup (3 oz) radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (0.5 oz) red onions, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Salt and pepper
- Optional step: If you would like to cut down the strong flavour of raw red onion, soak the sliced onions in very cold water for 10 minutes. Make sure to swirl the onions in the cold water before removing.
- Toss together the thinly sliced vegetables in a large bowl**. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salad ingredients. Taste and adjust the flavour according to your preferences. Drizzle the desired amount of dressing on top of the salad and gently toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- *I used mini English cucumbers, but Kirby or Persian cucumbers can be used as well.
- **I find it helpful to use a vegetable slicer to slice the cucumbers and a sharp knife for the radishes and onions. A mandoline slicer would also be great to get thin slices.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g