One Skillet Beef Pasta Casserole
Make this delicious, filling beef and vegetable rigatoni pasta casserole in one skillet! This easy dish makes enough food to feed the entire family.
This is one of those easy meals that comes together in under a hour and is made in one skillet.
That’s right, no extra pot to pre-boil the pasta and no additional casserole dish to pour the mixture into.
Therefore, scrumptious meal + less dishes = happiness. Okay, maybe I won’t go that far, but a big, tasty meal while cleaning a few less pots and pans is always a plus!
This rigatoni pasta casserole is so hearty, filling, meaty, vegetable-y and pasta-y!
When making a baked pasta dish, I love to use big noodles with lots of surface area to soak up the delicious sauce; rigatoni is perfect for this, but penne or rotini make excellent substitutions.
This recipe is quite versatile, so you can experiment with different meats and vegetables to find your favourite combination — just be sure to not overfill the skillet as it will bubble up a bit when in the oven.
If you choose to include the red wine, the sauce takes on a fun reddish-purple colour.
This dish also has the super melty mozzarella and crunchy parmesan cheese topping that makes it extra yummy.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
All the ingredients you’ll need! Listed below in the “Ingredients” list. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
At medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, and carrots in a large 12-inch cast iron skillet (or ovenproof pan), stir occasionally until onions are translucent.
Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper for one minute. Add beef and cook until it is brown.
Pour in crushed tomatoes, broth, wine, and pasta and toss to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer; stir periodically until pasta is almost al dente.
Sprinkle parmesan and lay mozzarella on top.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until pasta is done. Optional step: broil for a few minutes until the cheese is golden-brown. Top with fresh basil.
Plate and enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning*
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 1.5 lb. lean ground beef
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- ½ cup dry red wine (optional)**
- 12 oz uncooked dry rigatoni pasta
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet or a large high-sided ovenproof pan at medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, and carrots, and stir occasionally until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper, stirring for a minute before adding in the beef. Break apart and stir the beef until it is no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, and pasta and toss to combine, making sure the pasta is well coated. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally until the pasta is almost al dente, about 10-12 minutes. Top with mozzarella and parmesan and then bake for another 10-12 minutes until the pasta is ready.
- Optional steps: Broil until the cheese is golden brown on top, about 1-3 minutes. Top with fresh basil just prior to serving.
- Serve immediately or warm.
- *Use prepared Italian seasoning mix or 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried thyme, and 1 tsp dried rosemary.
- **Omit the red wine if you would like and add more chicken broth. You can also replace with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar for the sweet, acidic flavour.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 629