Healthy Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Enjoy a healthy breakfast or snack with this simple and delicious chocolate smoothie recipe that’s sweetened using bananas. It’s refined sugar-free, gluten-free, and vegan too.
Today’s recipe is an easy, delicious, and healthy smoothie that takes five minutes or less to make and is perfect for a quick breakfast or a delicious mid-day or after workout snack.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Healthy Chocolate Banana Smoothies!
There are only six ingredients in this smoothie! Plus, one optional (but recommended) ingredient.
- Frozen ripe bananas: I always keep a bag of bananas in the freezer to make smoothies. They give smoothies natural sweetness and creaminess.
- They are a good source of fiber and potassium too.
- Cocoa powder: Gives the drink a tasty chocolate flavour. It’s easy to add more or less according to your preferences.
- It’s blends up well into the smoothie as opposed to melted chocolate, which could freeze and form clumps of chocolate.
- Cocoa powder is also a healthier alternative than using chocolate syrups, which usually has added artificial sugar and ingredients.
- Ground cinnamon: A small amount of this spice is added to the smoothie to give a hint of warming sweetness. It helps elevate the chocolate flavour.
- If you prefer, you can substitute with a pinch of instant coffee or espresso powder to heighten the chocolate flavour.
- Unsweetened almond milk: It’s smooth, slightly nutty, and dairy-free. A great option for those who are lactose intolerant or keeping to a vegan diet. Substitute with your choice of milk if you like.
- Baby spinach: One of my grocery staples. I eat a lot of baby spinach.
- It’s wonderful to add to smoothies (yay hidden vegetables!) because it’s tender, mild in flavour, and full of good-for-you vitamins and nutrients like vitamins A and C as well as iron and magnesium.
- Chia seeds: I’m a big fan of chia seeds too. This ingredient is optional, but I really recommend adding it to this smoothie.
- Why? These relatively flavourless little seeds are loaded with healthy benefits. They are high in protein, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, and contain vitamins like iron and calcium.
- They also develop a gelatinous coat when soaked in liquid, which helps thicken the smoothie as well.
- Ice cubes: Keeps the drink cool and refreshing.
Love smoothies? Check out these four healthy smoothie recipes:
- Kale Pineapple Chia Smoothies
- Blueberry Lime Yogurt Smoothies
- Strawberry Avocado Green Smoothies
- Turmeric Pineapple Carrot Smoothies
Overall, this chocolate banana smoothie is:
- Healthy and delicious: It’s sweet from the bananas, has chocolatey notes from the cocoa powder, and hidden vegetables (i.e. spinach). The optional ingredient of chia seeds is packed with nutritional benefits too.
- Refreshing: This smoothie has a creamy texture that’ll quench your thirst.
- Super easy and quick to make: It takes about 5 minutes to make and is easy to whip up in the blender.
- Perfect for breakfast or as a snack: It’ll make for a quick breakfast or to fill up your travel cup to go.
- Refined sugar free.
- Vegan and gluten-free too.
Did you make this healthy chocolate smoothie recipe? Please leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. Please share your recipe pictures!
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or your choice of milk)
- 1 cup (packed) baby spinach
- 2 frozen ripe bananas
- 2 (heaping) tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional, but recommended)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Place all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Once blended, taste and adjust according to preferences such as adding more milk for a thinner smoothie or more cocoa powder for a stronger chocolate flavour.
- Best served immediately.
- Nutritional information represents one serving for a total of two servings.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 16mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 15g Protein: 5g