Instant Pot Pork Chops with Onion-Apple Sauce
An easy and delicious Instant Pot pork chop recipe featuring a simple, savoury, and slightly sweet onion apple sauce. Pair it with side of vegetables for a perfect weeknight meal.
Hello again! Today’s recipe is a simple and delicious recipe for Instant Pot Pork Chops with Onion-Apple Sauce! Be sure to check out the helpful tips in the recipe post!
How do you make this Instant Pot pork chop recipe?
In a medium bowl, combine together sliced apples, onions, ground cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside. Ingredients and full instructions in the recipe card down below.
Season boneless pork chops with salt and pepper. Melt butter in the Instant Pot and then brown both sides of the pork for 1-2 minutes. Remove pork from the Instant Pot.
Use chicken broth to deglaze the brown bits. Then stir in the onion and apple mixture into the pot.
Place pork chops on top of the onions, apple, and broth. Seal and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes, allow natural release for 10 minutes, before applying a quick release.
Remove pork chops from the Instant Pot and let it rest (cover with aluminum foil to keep warm).
Then make a cornstarch slurry and add to the onion-apple sauce. Set the Instant Pot to sauté (high) and stir frequently until the apples breakdown and a thick sauce is formed. (Not pictured).
Plate and top with parsley. Enjoy!
Here are Some Helpful Tips:
- This recipe works best with 1-inch center cut boneless pork loin chops.
- Quick fry boneless pork chops will come out too dry. Thicker cut, bone-in, and/or frozen pork chops may require a longer cook time.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure it is cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot after browning the pork chops. This is important to help prevent getting the “Burn” message.
- Remove the pork chops and place on a plate and then add chicken broth to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape and remove the brown bits until it dissolves into the broth.
- When the pork chops are ready, let them rest for 5 minutes before cutting them. It will help the pork chops retain their moisture and stay tender.
- Use a cornstarch (or all-purpose flour) slurry to thicken the onion-apple sauce.
- What’s a slurry? It’s a mixture of a thickening agent and liquid used to thicken a sauce or soup.
- In this recipe, measure out two tablespoons of cornstarch into a separate bowl and then add a half cup of the liquid from the sauce to the cornstarch and whisk until it is completely combined.
- Then, slowly pour it back into the Instant Pot and whisk to incorporate the slurry into the sauce. Keep stirring to thicken the sauce.
- Do not add the cornstarch directly into the sauce in the Instant Pot, it will form clumps and not be appetizing at all.
- I like to serve these pork chops with a side of vegetables such as Garlic Ginger Green Beans, Quick Roasted Asparagus, or Crispy Garlic Smashed Baby Potatoes.
Overall, this pork chop dish is:
- Tasty and flavourful: Tender, boneless pork chops smothered in a delicious savoury and lightly sweet onion and apple sauce is super satisfying and filling too.
- Quick and easy to prepare: Great to make as a simple weekday dinner or lazy weekend meal.
- Is perfect to serve three to four (adults): I portioned out one pork chop per person, but you can easily add more pork chops if needed (just as long as it fits). Serve it along with a vegetable side dish for a more complete meal. The thick sauce is plentiful (almost 2 cups) so it’s perfect for more pork chops if you like.
- Quick to clean-up: Everything is cooked in the Instant Pot and prepping ingredients utilizes just a few measuring tools, a knife, and a cutting board, making clean-up a breeze.
- Made from simple ingredients: They are very few ingredients that are easy to find and usually affordable at most supermarkets.
Looking for more Instant Pot hearty dinner recipes? Check out these four.
- Lemon Pepper Orzo with Chicken Thighs
- Bangers and Mash (aka sausages and mash potatoes) with Onion Gravy
- Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice
- Beef Barley and Mushroom Soup
I hope you try this Instant Pot pork recipe! If you make this recipe, please leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. Please share your recipe pictures!
For the pork chops:
- 3-4 boneless pork chops, preferably center cut pork loin, 1-inch thick
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the onion-apple sauce:
- 2 sweet apples (about 10 oz), thinly sliced (I used Gala)
- 1 small onion (about 5 oz), thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium), divided
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (or all-purpose flour)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- For the onion-apple sauce. Prepare and place the sauce ingredients (except chicken broth and cornstarch) into a medium bowl. Gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- For the pork chops. Season both sides of each pork chop with salt and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to "sauté". Add the butter into the pot, swirling the butter until it melts. Using tongs, place the pork chops in the pot and brown them on each side, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops from the pot and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chicken broth to deglaze the pot, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to remove/dissolve all the brown bits.
- Press “cancel” to turn off the Instant Pot. Stir in the rest of the chicken broth and remaining onion-apple sauce ingredients, making sure to distribute the ingredients throughout the pot. Place the pork chops back into the pot in a single layer on top.
- Seal the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure (“manual”/"pressure cook" function) for 5 minutes *(see first note). After it is ready, allow natural pressure release for 10 minutes before applying a quick pressure release to completely depressurize (until floating valve drops).
- Open the Instant Pot and remove the pork chops from the pot. Place on a clean plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest.
- Make the onion-apple sauce. Press “cancel” and then press "sauté" and “adjust” to the “more” (high heat) setting to bring the sauce to a low boil.
- Make a slurry by placing cornstarch into a small bowl and then add a half cup of the liquid from the sauce to the cornstarch. Whisk until it is completely combined.
- Slowly pour the slurry into the Instant Pot and whisk to incorporate it into the sauce. Stir frequently to thicken the sauce. The apples will break down as well.
- Put it together. Once the sauce is ready, smother each pork chop with a generous layer of sauce and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- *It takes about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
- This recipe works best with 1-inch center cut boneless pork loin chops. Quick fry boneless pork chops will come out too dry. Thicker cut, bone-in, and/or frozen pork chops may require a longer cook time. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it is cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Nutritional information represents one serving for a total of four servings (1 pork chop and 1/4 of the sauce).
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. I earn a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 135mg Sodium: 369mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 10g Protein: 44g