I've been on a pumpkin kick. A big pumpkin puree kick to be precise. Many desserts have been made with pumpkin puree such as Baked Pumpkin Cheesecake, Mini Chocolate Cups with Pumpkin Whipped Cream, and my favourite of the fall season, Pumpkin Sour Cream Coffee Cake. So much rich, tasty, sweet, spiced goodness.
So I thought to myself, why not a savoury dish using pumpkin puree? An easy, filling pasta that can be done in 25 minutes or less (if you’re not liking pictures of dogs on Instagram at the same time like I am.)
The ingredients used are also inexpensive and can be found at any supermarket. Finally, since it is all done in one-pot there is minimal clean-up. Wins all around!
Now onto the recipe.
Boil salted water and cook whole wheat spaghetti until al dente, about 7-9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Chop onions and spinach, mince the garlic, and measure out the sauce ingredients.
Brown the onions and garlic and then add the sauce ingredients. Mix together well and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta and spinach to the warm sauce and toss together using tongs until the pasta is coated. If necessary, use additional vegetable broth to thin out the sauce to a desired thickness.
Plate pasta and top with parmesan cheese if you would like. Enjoy!
One Pot Spaghetti with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce
Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 25 minutes Servings: 4
- 8 ounces dried whole wheat spaghetti (other pasta is fine too)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 packed cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- Optional: parmesan cheese or vegan cheese as topping
- In a large pot or a straight sided sauté pan, add water with salt and boil the pasta until al dente, about 7-9 minutes. Drain water and place pasta in a separate bowl.
In the meantime, chop your onion and spinach, and mince your garlic. Measure out the sauce ingredients (pumpkin puree, coconut milk, vegetable broth, and spices) and place in a bowl.
In the same pot, at medium high heat, add olive oil and brown onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Then add in sauce ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are mixed together and form an uniform, creamy sauce. The sauce should be heated through and begin to simmer, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pasta and spinach to the pot and incorporate the ingredients together, using tongs, until the pasta is well-coated. Use additional vegetable broth to thin the sauce if needed. Taste for additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with parmesan cheese or vegan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
- Okay with dairy? You can substitute coconut milk with heavy cream or half-and-half.
- Not vegan or vegetarian? You can substitute the vegetable broth with chicken broth.