Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
The classic combination of broccoli and cheddar star in this easy cornbread muffin recipe. Perfect to serve with chili, ribs, soup or to enjoy as a snack.
Hello there! Today’s recipe is a quick and simple recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread Muffins.
They are delicious, savoury, tender muffins perfect to serve with chili, ribs, and other dishes or just to have as a snack.
In fact, they would pair wonderfully with my last recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili!
So how do you make these cornbread muffins?
Prepare and measure out the ingredients, including shredding the cheddar cheese and finely dicing the broccoli. Full ingredient amounts and full instructions listed down below in the recipe card.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking soda,baking powder, and spices.
In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, butter, and egg until uniform in appearance.
Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is just combined.
Add the broccoli and cheddar into the batter. Scoop the batter into each lined muffin pan cup.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, until a wooden skewer comes out clean in the center. Enjoy!
Here are some helpful RECIPE TIPS:
- Use a food processor to finely dice the broccoli.
- Place broccoli pieces in a food processor with the S-shaped blade attachment and pulse the broccoli until it turns in small pieces.
- You can also chop it into little pieces with a sharp knife too if you prefer.
- If you are using a food processor for the broccoli, might as well use it to shred the cheese too.
- Switch out the S-shaped blade with the shredder blade and you’ve got shredded cheddar in no time.
- If not, a regular cheese grater will do the trick.
- Speaking of cheese, I like to shred and small dice the cheddar for this recipe.
- The small dice is optional, but I like the “pockets” of cheese that form in the cornbread muffin when you add in diced cheese. Shredded cheese melts into the cornbread so that the flavour of cheese is distributed throughout.
- Remember to line the baking pans with liners (I love using silicone liners) or spray it with cooking spray. That way the muffins will pop out of the pans easily.
Check out these other cheesy quick bread recipes!
- Jalapeno Maple Sausage Skillet Cornbread
- Easy Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Rolls
- Quick Rosemary Cheddar Drop Biscuits
These cornbread muffins are:
- Savoury and delicious: It’s full of broccoli and cheddar goodness all in a tender muffin form. They are best eaten warm!
- Quick and easy to make: It’s ready in 30 minutes.
- Perfect as a side dish It’s great to go as a side dish with chili, soups, and ribs or any meal that uses a savoury bread.
- Great as asnack too: It’s a great grab-and-go treat to have anytime.
I hope you enjoy this cornbread muffin recipe! If you try out this recipe, please leave me a comment and rating below or tag me on any of my social media.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup (2 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups broccoli, finely diced *(see first note)
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and diced **(see second note)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with baking cups (liners) or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices, until well combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, butter, and egg until uniform in appearance. Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is just combined.
- Using a spatula, fold the broccoli and cheddar into the batter until it is distributed evenly throughout. Scoop the batter into each muffin pan cup until the cup is ¾ full (around a ¼ cup per scoop).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a wooden skewer comes out clean in the center. Best enjoyed immediately and warm.
- *The easiest way to dice broccoli is to place the broccoli pieces into a food processor fitted with a s-shaped blade and pulsed until you get to the desired texture. You can also use a sharp knife and chop away.
- **I like to chop up a half cup of small diced cheddar (this is optional) so when the muffins are baked, there will be pockets of cheese throughout each muffin. Shredded cheddar tends to “disappear” into the muffins so the cheese flavour is throughout.
- Store cooled leftover cornbread muffins in an airtight container or a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Warm muffins before eating.
- Nutritional information represents one serving (muffin) for a total of sixteen servings.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. I earn a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 342mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Protein: 8g