Roasted chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are tasty and healthy. They are high in fiber and protein, which makes them filling and keeps you full longer.
You can snack away on these roasted chickpeas, but they would also be a wonderful addition to salads, pastas, soups, and vegetable bowls! This recipe is also naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Chickpeas take on a wonderful nutty flavour when roasted and it just seems to work well with whatever spice, herb, or sauce that you add.
For this recipe, I’m sharing my current favs using dried spices and a lime.
- Smoked paprika and cumin: smoky with subtle heat
- Cinnamon and sugar: a little sweet with a bit of warmth
- Turmeric and ginger: a warm, spicy bite
- Lime and black pepper: bright, citrus flavour with mild heat
If you want, check out Part Two! Right here: Crunchy Oven-Roasted Chickpeas 4 (More) Ways.
Salt and olive oil on the ends. Starting top left and going clockwise: lime (zest and juice) and cracked black pepper, smoked paprika and cumin, cinnamon and sugar, and turmeric and ginger.
For Scott and me, our favourite is the lime and black pepper followed very closely by the cinnamon and sugar blend. Let me know what flavours you like in the comments!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
How do you make roasted chickpeas?
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Drain, rinse, and pat dry chickpeas. Remove lose chickpea skins that come off when drying.
On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, spread chickpeas in a single layer, then coat with olive oil and salt. Roast for 30 minutes, shaking the sheet in 10 minute intervals.
After roasting for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and coat the chickpeas with seasoning. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes or until crispy. Enjoy!
From top-left and going clockwise: smoked paprika and cumin, lime and black pepper,turmeric and cumin, and cinnamon and sugar.
I hope you try this recipe! If you do, please leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. I’ll love a picture!
- 2 - 19 oz. cans of cooked chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and thoroughly dried
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
Plus one of the following dried spices or citrus combos*:
- 2 tsp smoked paprika / 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp sugar / 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp turmeric / 1 tsp ginger
- 1 lime (juice and zest) / 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Drain, rinse, and pat the chickpeas dry using paper towels or a clean dish towel. Remove chickpea skins that come off when drying (the drier the better).
- Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil and salt. Toss gently so that the chickpeas are evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, gently shaking the baking sheet every 10 minutes to move around the chickpeas.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and evenly coat with the seasoning of your choice. Place the coated chickpeas back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes, until crispy. Best served immediately for warm crunchiness.
- *Adjust quantities according to taste preferences.
- Store at room temperature in a container without a sealed lid/with a loosely covered lid (it helps it stay crispier). Chickpeas lose a little bit of crispness and get a little chewier the next day. They are still delicious and addicting though!
- Nutritional information represents one serving for a total of four servings and excludes seasonings.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 9.4gCarbohydrates: 37.8gProtein: 14g