Pumpkin Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This delicious and moist coffee cake has wonderful pumpkin and spice flavours. The sweet and crunchy brown sugar topping makes this coffee cake so tasty!
Okay, so I bought this can of pumpkin puree for the purpose of making Baked Pumpkin Cheesecake. I had some left. I then made pumpkin spice whipped cream for my chocolate donuts. Yet, I still have some left. I really, really dislike wasting ingredients so I “have” to make something. Let’s face it, as soon as I use up this can of pumpkin puree, I’ll probably see a sale at the store and buy more.
Anyway, my husband (my main taste tester) has been hinting that I should try to make some coffee cake. After all, we both drink coffee like it is going out of business and coffee cake was made to go with coffee. I think. I mean what came first? Coffee or coffee cake? Or was it cake that became coffee cake? Why isn’t there coffee in coffee cake? Okay, I’ll stop.
This seemed like a perfect opportunity to inject some fall flavours into this classic cake.
Now onto the recipe.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. First, mix butter and sugar together, then one egg at a time, and finally the sour cream, pumpkin puree, and vanilla.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add dry ingredients slowly to the wet ingredients. Mix all of it together.
Use your hands or a fork to create a crumble using the topping ingredients.
Spread half of the coffee cake batter into a 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle half of your topping onto the batter. Then add the remaining batter and the remaining topping. On a baking sheet, bake 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through.
Let the cake cool until unmolding the springform pan. Look at all the brown sugar topping! Enjoy!
For the coffee cake:
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1½ tsp nutmeg
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in one egg at a time then add in the sour cream, pumpkin puree, and vanilla until just combined.
- Using a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until the batter is well incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, place your topping ingredients and use your hands or a fork to create a crumble.
- Spread half of the coffee cake batter into a 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle half of your topping onto the batter. Then add the remaining batter and the remaining topping. Place pan on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through. You should be able to insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and it should come out clean (no wet batter). Let it cool completely before unmolding.
- This will keep for several days covered at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 790 Total Fat: 43g Saturated Fat: 26g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 178mg Sodium: 713mg Carbohydrates: 95g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 49g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g