Roasted Broccoli with Lemon Parsley Hollandaise Sauce
Simple and delicious roasted broccoli is elevated with the addition of bright, beautiful lemon hollandaise sauce in this savoury side dish recipe.
Today’s recipe is Roasted Broccoli with Lemon Parsley Hollandaise. It’s a delicious pairing that’s full of flavour and texture!
Broccoli florets are roasted with garlic until golden on the tips and tender-crisp throughout. When topped with a creamy, lemony hollandaise sauce, the dish is sensational.
This is a tasty vegetable side dish option that’s lovely to have for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. It goes wonderfully with a roasted chicken or a savoury waffle.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
How do you make this recipe?
(Full ingredient amounts and instructions available in the recipe card down below)
On large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss together the broccoli florets, minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Spread into a single layer (top-left photo).
Roast the broccoli at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes (top-right photo).
Prepare the hollandaise sauce ingredients such as melting the butter, squeezing the lemon juice, and separating the egg yolks from the whites (top-left photo).
Boil water in a saucepan before reducing it to a simmer. Place a stainless steel bowl, containing whisked together egg yolks and lemon juice, on top of the saucepan (to make a double boiler) (top-right photo).
What is a double boiler?
A double boiler is a piece of kitchen equipment that consisted of two pots. A large saucepan and a smaller, shallow pan that nestles inside of the large saucepan.
In use, a small amount of water simmers in the larger saucepan and the small pot is placed on top.
The water provides a gentle, even heat to the pan above. It’s great for melting chocolate, and making custards, lemon curd, and hollandaise sauce.
Owning a double boiler is helpful if you do a lot of cooking that requires it. If you need one once in a while (like me), you can make a double boiler easily by placing a stainless-steel bowl (or heat-proof glass bowl) over a saucepan (like what you see in the above photo).
Slowly pour in the melted butter into the egg yolk-butter mixture, whisking continuously to combine well until sauce thickens (top-left photo).
Remove from heat and stir in the paprika, parsley, salt and pepper (middle and last photos).
Plate the roasted broccoli and pour the hollandaise sauce on top. Enjoy!
Can I reheat the hollandaise sauce?
Yes, but very carefully. Reheat in the microwave at a low power setting (15-20 percent) in 15 second intervals, whisking in-between until the sauce is heated through.
- If you reheat the sauce at too high of a temperature, the eggs will scramble, and you will have lumpy sauce.
- In general, hollandaise sauce should not be made more than a day ahead to prevent the possibility of spoilage.
- If you are planning of making this dish ahead of time, keep the broccoli and hollandaise sauce separate and heat up individually.
Here are four more quick and easy side dish recipes that you need to try!
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Mushrooms
- Easy Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin
- Healthy Carrot Cabbage Coleslaw
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Arugula Salad
In summary, this broccoli with hollandaise sauce recipe:
- Is delicious: The combination of garlic roasted broccoli and lemony hollandaise sauce is a winner.
- Comes together quickly: It’s ready in under 30 minutes.
- Is a great side option: It can be served for any meal.
- Vegetarian and gluten-free too!
Did you make this tasty broccoli recipe? Leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. Please share your recipe pictures!
For the broccoli:
- 1 lb. broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the hollandaise sauce:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 oz. (6 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the broccoli. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the broccoli florets and garlic onto the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and top with salt and pepper. Using your hands, give the ingredients a gentle toss, making sure to mix all the ingredients together.
- Spread the broccoli out into a single layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring and flipping halfway, until it is golden-brown on top and tender crisp in texture.
- For the hollandaise sauce. As the broccoli roasts, prepare the sauce using the double-boiler method (use a double broiler or DIY one with a bowl like I did).
- In a saucepan, fill with a small amount of water (about 1-2 inches high). Bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer.
- In a stainless-steel bowl (*see first note), using a wired whisk, mix the egg yolks and lemon juice together until well combined. Then place the bowl on top of the saucepan to make a double broiler.
- Slowly pour in the melted butter, whisking continuously, until it is completely incorporated together, and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Mix in the parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time and whisk to thin it out to your desired consistency.
- Put it together. Plate the roasted broccoli and pour the hollandaise sauce over the broccoli. Best served immediately.
- *The mixing bowl should fit snug into the saucepan, but the bottom should not be touching the water when placed on top.
- Nutritional information represents one serving for a total of four servings.
- Can I reheat the hollandaise sauce? Yes, but very carefully. Reheat in the microwave at a low power setting (15-20 percent) in 15 second intervals, whisking in-between until the sauce is heated through.
- In general, hollandaise sauce should not be made more than a day ahead to prevent spoilage.
- If you are planning on making this dish ahead of time, keep the broccoli and hollandaise sauce separate and heat up individually.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 255mg Sodium: 338mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g