Is it snowing in your part of the world? Here in Alberta, it looks like we’re going to have a white Christmas. With the cold winter weather (arghhh winter is almost officially here!), I crave cozy, warm comfort food.
Comfort food like this delicious Instant Pot Hearty Vegetable and Brown Rice Soup!
All the ingredients except the broth. Recipe amounts and full instructions listed below.
After the garlic, ginger, and onions are sautéed, add the remaining ingredients and give the mix a good stir before cooking at high pressure for 20 minutes.
Tender vegetables and brown rice soup ready to eat. Serve it with a thick piece of bread or alongside a light salad.
This soup is:
- Colourful vegetables that are savoury (e.g. potatoes), sweet (like the carrots), and have a mild bite (e.g. onions, ginger, and garlic).
- Tender, filling brown rice that more than doubles in size once it is cooked. It has a nuttier flavour than white rice.
- A generous amount of dried herbs which includes parsley, basil, rosemary, and thyme that are earthy and fragrant is added to give the soup another layer of flavour.
- The tomato paste adds a lovely rich savoury tomato flavour to the soup.
- It’s nutritious and full of vitamins and minerals from the tasty fresh vegetables. For example, carrots are an excellent source of beta carotene (it converts to vitamin A), which assists in boosting immunity, eye health, and cell growth.
- The brown rice is full of fiber and high in nutrients such as manganese and selenium.
- It's a fantastic way to get back on track for eating a little bit healthier, especially if you’re like me, have been eating too many sweets especially all the holiday desserts and snack mix.
The texture is thick and hearty: It's thickened using the natural starch from the rice. The rice absorbs all the delicious flavours as it cooks in the Instant Pot.
Quick and easy: Everything is made in one (Instant) pot so clean-up is easy. The soup only requires 20 minutes of high pressure cooking for the the brown rice to be perfectly cooked and the vegetables to get nice and tender.
Makes a good amount of soup: This recipe results in about 10 cups of soup full of vegetables and brown rice. That’s enough to feed the whole family or have great leftovers to eat during the week. No need to worry about what’s for lunch (or dinner).
Vegan and gluten-free: A lovely meal to serve those with these dietary restrictions.
So good! Enjoy this recipe!