Updated with new pictures, additional text, and recipe edits (originally posted July 24, 2017).
Hey there! These Salted Chocolate Butterscotch Chip Cookies are so delicious that I want to eat them all with a large glass of milk! They are perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
Scott brought a batch of these cookies into his workplace and they disappeared in no time. No word on who ate them all, but an empty plate in a hurry must mean they enjoyed them, right? You know it’s good when they keep coming back for a second or third cookie.
These indulgent cookies are full of rich chocolate and sweet butterscotch flavour and are soft and cake-like in texture.
The addition of coarse sea salt on top of each cookie heightens the chocolate notes and gives it a delightful contrast from the sweet notes of the cookie too.
You’ll need to try it to know what I mean! I hope you enjoy this recipe!
How do you make these chocolate cookies?
(Complete ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card down below)
Using a stand (or electric) mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until fluffy and well-combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract until just combined.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Set the mixer to medium speed and slowly add the flour mixture in small batches into the mixing bowl until just combined to form a thick dough. Then fold in a cup of butterscotch chips.
Measure out two tablespoons of dough, form a ball with the palms of your hands, and place a couple inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. It makes around 24 cookies.
You can also use a small cookie scoop to drop each cookie onto the baking sheet.
Slightly flatten each cookie and press in the remaining butterscotch chips on the top of each cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with a little sea salt.
Not only does it look pretty, but it ensures that each cookie has a decent amount of chips and the sea salt brings out the chocolate flavour and helps balance out the sweetness.
The cookie dough doesn’t need to be chilled prior to baking either so the wait time between you and a freshly baked cookie is quick!
Bake for 10-12 minutes, until puffed on top and slightly crisp on the bottom. Let the soft cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring a cooling rack to completely cool. Enjoy!
Love cookie recipes? Take a look at these four easy-to-make sweet treats!
- Cream Cheese Kiss Cookies
- Raspberry Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies
- Six-Ingredient Crunchy Almond Cookies
- Chewy Gingersnap (Ginger Molasses) Cookies
Overall, these Chocolate Butterscotch Chip Cookies are:
- Delicious: The combination of chocolate, butterscotch chips, and sea salt is decadent and additive!
- Quick and easy to make: These cookies come together in 30 minutes and only have a few simple instructions.
- Easy to scale up or down: This recipe can be easily halved (to make a dozen) or doubled (or more) to make as much as you want.
- A tasty dessert or snack: I love eating these with a glass or milk or a cup of coffee.
- Great to make for a cookie exchange party or to serve at holiday party!
- Shareable: Make this recipe and share with family, friends, and/or your co-workers!
Did you make this cookie recipe? If you did, please leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. I’d love a picture!
- 1 cup (8 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (packed) brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups butterscotch chips
- Coarse or flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand (or electric) mixer, at medium speed, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until fluffy and well-combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set the mixer to medium speed and slowly add the flour mixture in small batches into the mixing bowl until just combined to form an uniform thick dough, scraping the sides down if necessary. *(see first note)
- Using a spatula, fold in a cup of butterscotch chips, making sure to distribute the chips throughout the dough.
- Measure out two tablespoons of dough, form a ball with the palms of your hands, and place it an inch or two apart on a baking sheet, making 24 cookies.
- Slightly flatten each cookie with your hand and press in the remaining butterscotch chips on the top of each cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with a small amount of sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until puffed and soft on top and slightly crisp on the bottom. **(see second note). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before removing to let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- * Stop mixing once you no longer see the flour. Over-mixing may result in a crunchier cookie.
- ** You want the cookies to be slightly underdone. They will continue to cook (and harden) when cooling on the baking sheet.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are estimated based on the ingredients used by the author; your ingredients may differ. These values are calculated using Nutritionix.