Hey there! Today’s One-Pot Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe is a comforting warm bowl of deliciousness that’s lovely to enjoy on a cold day or evening.
This soup features hearty slices of fresh brown cremini mushrooms (aka crimini, baby bella, or baby portobello), which are a more mature, firm, and flavourful version of white mushrooms.
The umami notes of mushrooms are matched with sweet sautéed onions and heightened with select aromatic dried herbs and salty-sweet soy sauce.
It’s all mixed together with vegetable broth and coconut milk (you won’t taste coconut), which gives the soup a creamy texture and keeps it vegan. You won’t miss the heavy cream.
Serve this quick made-from-scratch mushroom soup as a starter, light meal, or side dish.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
How do you make this comforting mushroom soup?
(Full ingredient amounts and instructions available in the recipe card down below).
Sauté onions in olive oil until the onions are softened and golden-brown (first photo). Then, add in mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper (second photo).
Occasionally stir the ingredients together to allow the mushroom juices to release and evaporate (first photo).
Stir in the coconut milk, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch slurry. Bring the soup to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Let it cook for 15 minutes. Stir in parsley (optional) and season with additional salt and pepper to taste (second photo).
Scoop into bowls and enjoy!
Here are four more quick and easy soup recipes for you to check out!
- Ginger Pork Meatball Soup with Bok Choy
- Carrot Orange Ginger Soup (vegan)
- Curried Red Lentil Quinoa Vegetable Soup (vegan)
- Dutch Vegetable Soup with Meatballs
In all, this mushroom soup is:
- Delicious: Full of rich umami flavours, this recipe is loaded with fresh cremini mushrooms in a tasty and creamy non-dairy broth.
- Hearty and warming: It’s a wonderful meal to make on a cool day or evening to warm you up inside.
- Simple to put together: This no-fuss (but from scratch) recipe comes together quickly.
- Made in one-pot: There’s not a lot of clean-up to do, which is always a plus.
- Vegan too: It’s dairy-free as it uses coconut milk (instead of traditional heavy cream), which is great for those with lactose intolerance.
- Can be made gluten-free as well: Make sure the source soy sauce is gluten-free and cornstarch, which is naturally gluten-free, is made in a gluten-free facility.
Did you make this easy one-pot mushroom soup recipe? Leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. Please share your recipe pictures!
One-Pot Creamy Mushroom Soup (Vegan)
Enjoy a warm, comforting bowl of deliciousness with this creamy mushroom soup recipe. You won't miss the heavy cream in this easy one-pot vegan soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped (or white or yellow onion)
- 1½ lb. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 400 ml (14 fl. oz.) canned coconut milk (unsweetened), I used full-fat
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large saucepan at medium-high heat, add olive oil and onions. Sauté until onions soften and take on a golden colour, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Occasionally stir to allow the mushroom juices to release and evaporate, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, vegetable broth, and soy sauce. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until it dissolves and then add it to the soup. Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients together.
- Bring the soup to a boil before reducing it to a simmer and allowing it to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and season with additional salt and pepper if you like. Best served immediately or warm.
- Nutritional information represents one serving for a total of 4 servings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 793mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Nutritional values are estimated based on the ingredients used by the author; your ingredients may differ. These values are calculated using Nutritionix.
Sunday 27th of September 2020
This really looks lovely, and perfect for fall. But coconut milk? This really took me by surprise. What about just cream or evaporated milk? I’m working hard to think what coconut and mushrooms taste like together!!!
Marie | Yay! for Food
Sunday 27th of September 2020
You won't taste the coconut milk at all!