Snacking is a hobby for me. I’m the type of person where I snack when I’m happy, sad, bored… okay, anytime is a good time to snack especially when I am sitting on couch watching one of my favourite movies or television shows. Do you have a snacking obsession too?
One of my favourite things to snack on is veggies with hummus. Homemade hummus is so easy to make!
In traditional hummus, the ingredients include nutty chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), which have a good amount of dietary fiber, protein, and vitamin B, tahini (a sesame seed paste) that makes hummus nice and creamy, zesty, bright lemon juice, pungent garlic, and fragrant olive oil.
From there, you can add different ingredients to kick up the flavours such as spices like sumac, cumin, paprika, sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, and pine nuts. In this recipe, I added the awesome flavours of jalapeño peppers and cilantro!
I knew this recipe would go over well in my house as jalapeño and cilantro are two of Scott's favourite flavours. Now, Scott doesn't tend to snack on hummus the way I do (even though I caught him with pita chips and a bowl of this hummus on several occasions).
Instead, he was inspired to make a homemade chicken shawarma using this hummus as a spread for the pita. It turned out great with the creamy spiciness of the hummus complimenting the warm spices used on the chicken. There are plenty of other sandwich/wrap options that would work with this hummus.
- Is simple and delicious: quick and easy to make homemade smooth and creamy hummus at home.
- Has delicious roasted jalapeño peppers: flavourful, spicy with a little smoky flavour.
- Has bright, fresh cilantro flavour: it has notes of lemon, lime, and/or parsley. It compliments spicy peppers so well as it somewhat acts as a cooling note to the pepper.
- Is easily adaptable: add an extra jalapeños or leave in the seeds if you like it extra hot or more cilantro if you enjoy it’s flavour.
- Makes a great appetizer or snack for one or a crowd: serve this creamy dip with vegetables (I like carrots, celery, and grape tomatoes), pita chips, or crackers. It's a healthier alternative to potato chips and other salty and sweet snacks too.
- Can also be used as a salad dressing or pasta salad: Dilute hummus with olive oil and/water and toss into some leafy greens or into pasta.
- Vegan and gluten-free: perfect for those with these dietary restrictions.
All the ingredients to make a yummy creamy jalapeño cilantro hummus. I ended up using two jalapeño peppers instead of one. Ingredients amounts and full instructions are listed in the recipe card below.
After the jalapeños are roasted, place all of the ingredients in a food processor filled with a s-blade.
Blend until nice and smooth. Taste and adjust for texture and flavour.
Garnish with more fresh cilantro and a few chickpeas if you like. Enjoy!