Crispy Roasted Potatoes and Arugula Salad
Delicious spiced roasted potatoes sit atop a bed of peppery arugula in this quick and easy warm salad recipe. A side dish that’s full of bright flavours and complimentary textures.
Hello! Today’s recipe is a side dish that’s easy to prepare, full of delicious flavours, and pleasing textures.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Crispy Roasted Potatoes and Arugula Salad!
What’s in this recipe?
For this recipe, I use baby potatoes (also known as new potatoes).
They have a thin, tender skin so they don’t need to be peeled and, when roasted, they’ll get nice and crispy.
On the inside, the roasted potatoes have a soft, creamy texture with flavours that are slightly sweet, earthy, and savoury.
I used mainly red and yellow baby potatoes plus a few blue mini potatoes as it was available at the grocery store, but since the potatoes are cooked with colourful spices, they will all end up looking the same at the end – a lovely deep reddish-brown colour. As such, it doesn’t matter if you use either red or yellow ones.
The potatoes are coated with a mixture of minced garlic, dried rosemary, sweet paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper along with olive oil before roasted on baking sheet.
Sweet paprika is mild with fruity and slightly sweet notes. If you prefer it a little spicy, you can substitute with hot paprika or if you like smoky flavours, use smoked paprika.
Cumin has warm, earthy, and nutty notes and dried rosemary has a lemony-pine flavour.
In combination, they go so well with the roasted baby potatoes, but doesn’t overwhelm the dish with too much spice.
Then there is the baby arugula (also known as rocket), which has bold peppery-mustardy notes, but is less strong in flavour than regular mature arugula.
To help balance the distinctive flavour of arugula, a simple vinaigrette made from fresh lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper is gently tossed onto this leafy green vegetable.
Then the spiced roasted potatoes and arugula salad is brought together and sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese (I like using a lot of Parmigiano Reggiano) that’s sharp, nutty, and salty.
How to make this tasty warm salad?
In a large bowl, combine together the potatoes, garlic, dried rosemary, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. (Full ingredients amounts and instructions provided in the recipe card down below).
Place the potatoes in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Roast for 35-40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
As the potatoes roast, toss together the arugula with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Plate the arugula on a platter (I used a pasta bowl) and top with the warm potatoes. Finish with freshly grated parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!
Love potatoes? Me too! Take a look at these four potato recipes!
- Mustard Dill Potato Salad
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Baby Potatoes
- One-Pan Brussels Sprouts and Potato Gratin
- Potato Leek Soup with Spinach and Parmesan (has Instant Pot and stove-top instructions)
Overall, this potato arugula salad:
- Is delicious: It’s has pleasing bright, savoury, and complimentary flavours.
- Has satisfying textures: Crispy potatoes and tender baby arugula makes each bite interesting.
- Is quick and easy to make: It only takes about 10 minutes of active time to prepare (most of the time is spent roasting the potatoes) with just a few uncomplicated steps.
- Has ingredients that are (usually) simple to find in the grocery store or are in your kitchen pantry already.
- Is adaptable: Since this is a salad, it’s customizable. You can always add more or less ingredients to suite your preferences.
- Is gluten-free and vegetarian too. Just make sure that your cheese is free from animal rennet to ensure that it is vegetarian if this is important to you.
- Make it vegan by substituting the cheese with a vegan alternative or omitting it all together.
I hope you try this recipe! If you do, please leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. Please share your recipe pictures!
For the potatoes:
- 1½ lb. baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp ground sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 4 cups (packed) baby arugula
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano), freshly grated, to taste (I used 1/4 cup)
- For the potatoes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine together the potatoes, garlic, dried rosemary, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper until the potatoes are well-coated.
- On a large baking sheet (lined with parchment paper for easy clean-up), spread the potatoes in a single layer and roast for 30-40 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- For the salad. As the potatoes roast, place the arugula in a large bowl and top with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and then set aside.
- Put it together. Plate the arugula on a large platter or plate and top with the roasted potatoes. Then grate a generous amount of parmesan cheese over the dish. Best served immediately.
- Nutritional information represents one serving for a total of six servings.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 191mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Protein: 5g