These Broccoli Cheddar Squares are a delicious and savoury appetizer, snack, or even a breakfast or brunch option. It’s easy to make and can be made the day before.
Broccoli is one of the most common and versatile vegetables around. Steam it, roast it, or eat it raw, it’s one of the first things that comes to mind when you’re looking for a healthy ingredient.
Cheddar is one of most reliable cheeses. When you are looking for a cheese to bake with, it’s hard to go wrong with cheddar.
Bring these two dependable ingredients together and you have the makings of an amazing meal. Surrounded by eggs and flour, these squares have a texture similar to a frittata. Best of all, you can bake it in one pan ahead of time. Why not warm up a square for a quick breakfast?
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
How do you make this easy broccoli cheddar squares recipe?
(Full ingredient amounts and instructions available in the recipe card down below).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the melted butter evenly over the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs before whisking in the milk. Then, whisk in the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper until smooth.
Using a food processor, pulse the broccoli into small pieces to make broccoli rice (you may need to do this in batches).
Add the broccoli rice, diced onion, and grated cheese to the flour mixture.
Here are some recipe tips:
- Use a food processor to finely dice the broccoli (to make broccoli rice (or riced broccoli).
- Place the broccoli in a food processor with the S-shaped blade attachment and pulse the broccoli until it turns in small pieces (“rice” consistency).
- Or use a sharp knife and chop into small pieces.
- Or use a high-powered blender to make the broccoli rice. You will probably need to blend in batches and scrap down the sides (in between blending) to get even pieces.
- Use the S-shaped blade attachment to dice up the onion too. Or just use a knife.
- If you are using a food processor for the broccoli, use it to shred the cheese too.
- Switch out the S-shaped blade with the shredder blade and you’ve got shredded/grated cheddar in no time.
- If not, a regular cheese grater will work just as well.
Using a spatula, combine all the ingredients together.
Spread the broccoli cheddar mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes until set (firm to the touch) in the middle. Let it cool for 15 minutes before slicing into squares. Enjoy warm or cooled!
Love broccoli? Check out these four tasty recipes featuring this healthy veggie!
- Roasted Broccoli with Lemon Parsley Hollandaise Sauce
- Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad with Tangy Italian Vinaigrette
- Roasted Broccoli Potato and Sausage Tart
In all, this Broccoli Cheddar Squares recipe is:
- Delicious: These squares are tender and full of broccoli and cheddar.
- Easy to prepare: It’s made with 10 ingredients (that includes staples like salt and pepper) and it all bakes up in one pan.
- Great to have as an appetizer or for breakfast: Serve it warm or cooled. Slice it into as many squares as you like.
- Adaptable: Replace the cheddar cheese with another melty cheese of your choice. For example, use Jalapeno Monterey Jack for a little spicy kick.
- Great to make ahead of time: It reheats well in the microwave so it can be made ahead of time or eaten as leftovers the next day.
Did you make these squares? Leave me a rating and comment down below or tag me on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. Please share your recipe pictures!
- 2 tbsp (1 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
- ½ large onion (white or yellow), diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 9x13 baking dish, pour the melted butter evenly over the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs before whisking in the milk. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk well until the mixture is smooth and uniform.
- Place the broccoli ¾ full in a food processor fitted with an S-blade attachment and gently pulse until the broccoli is broken down into small pieces to make broccoli rice (you may need to do this in batches) *(see first note.)
- Add the broccoli rice, onion, and cheese to the flour mixture. Using a spatula, combine the ingredients well together.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to the baking dish, making sure that the mixture is evenly distributed and spread flat on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until set (firm to the touch) in the middle. Let it cool for 15 minutes before slicing into squares. Can be served warm or room temperature.
- If you don’t have food processor, you can use a sharp knife to chop the broccoli into small pieces or use a high-powered blender, scrapping down the sides (in between blending) to break down the broccoli evenly.
- Nutritional information represents one serving (one square) for a total of twelve servings.
- Replace the cheddar cheese with another melty cheese of your choice. For example, use Jalapeno Monterey Jack for a little spicy kick.
- Recipe adapted from “Mom’s Spinach Cheese Squares” by Betty Crocker.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
Nutritional values are estimated based on the ingredients used by the author; your ingredients may differ. These values are calculated using Nutritionix.