Easy Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Rolls
These little pizza rolls are a wonderful snack or appetizer! They are flavourful, easy to make, and can be adapted by changing up the toppings!
Updated with some new pictures, additional text, and recipe re-vamp (originally posted January 13, 2017).
I love pizza and I eat too much of it. It’s quite possibly my favourite food.
I even have a Pinterest Board, aptly titled, “I Love Pizza!” Some days we have take-out pizza, but it can get expensive; other days, I make pizza from scratch (and it’s awesome), but it can take a long time and I get hangry.
When I was making this recipe, I spilled a bunch of flour on the floor because I have zero coordination in the kitchen. Also, it may be because I was singing a Sia song and attempted to sing a high note (very poorly) while lifting up the large container of flour.
My dog, Teddy, rushed to the kitchen and tried to “help” me clean up (with his face), decided that he doesn’t like eating flour, and ended up making flour footprints all over the kitchen. Adorable, but annoying at the same time.
Regardless of my ungracefulness in the kitchen, making these pizza rolls are worth it because they are so good!
This recipe uses the good ol’ pepperoni, fresh basil, and two types of cheese! The crust is soft, chewy, and pulls apart nicely!
I hope you try this recipe for Easy Pepperoni Pizza Rolls!
How do you make these pepperoni cheese pizza rolls?
All the ingredients! See the recipe card down below for the full ingredients and instructions.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, parmesan, sugar, and salt.
Cut in the butter until it begins to resemble coarse sand. Add milk and stir until the ingredients are just combined and dough is formed.
On a clean surface, flour the surface, and roll out the dough to a 16×16 square. Top with sauce, pepperoni, basil, and mozzarella. (Note: the step-by-step photos (from above) are from the original post. This photo shows the diced mozzarella rather than shredded, which is used in the adapted version of this recipe).
Roll up the dough tightly and freeze for 15 minutes. Then cut into 1-inch rolls, flatten slightly, and top with additional cheese.Place 2-inches apart on baking sheet(s).
Bake at 450 degrees F for 12-14 minutes until golden.Serve warm. Enjoy!
Overall, these pepperoni cheese pizza rolls are:
- Delicious! These palm-sized pinwheel shaped pizza rolls are full of pepperoni, sauce, and cheese! They are great to eat warm or at room temperature too.
- Easy to make: This quick bread does not require any proofing which saves so much time to make them. Plus, these pizza rolls come together quickly and easily once you start making them.
- Easily adaptable: Add your favourite pizza ingredients into these rolls. Just don’t overload the dough with toppings as you need to tightly roll it.
- A perfect quick snack, appetizer, or as part of a meal: Pair it with a side salad for a more complete meal if you like.
- Great to take on-the-go: Pack it up and eat it when you get hungry.
- Freezable: Just re-heat them in the oven when you want to eat them.
Looking for more savoury snack recipes? Check out these ones!
- Crispy Oven Fried Pickles with Cheddar Cheese Dip
- Baked Crispy Coconut Chicken Nuggets
- Creamy Roasted Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
I hope you try this recipe! If you do, please leave me a rating and comment down below, tag me, or use the hashtag #yayforfood on any of my social media. I’m @yay_for_food on Instagram. I’d love a picture.
For the dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for topping
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup milk
For the sauce (or your choice):
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp crushed red peppers (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the toppings (or your choice):
- 1 cup pepperoni, sliced and chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Optional: serve with dipping sauce such as marinara
- Preheat the oven 450 degree F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, parmesan cheese, sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers until it begins to resemble coarse sand. Pour in the milk and stir using a wooden spoon until ingredients are just combined and dough forms.
- On a clean, flat surface, flour and roll out the dough into a 16x16 square. Top with the sauce, pepperoni, basil, and mozzarella. Then roll the dough tightly making a long tube, place it on the prepared baking sheet, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- After removing from the freezer, use a serrated knife and cut 1-inch rolls. Place each roll spaced at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet (you may need to use two), flatten each roll slightly, and top with additional parmesan or mozzarella cheese if you like.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly on the baking sheet. Serve warm.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- You can also freeze the baked rolls in an airtight container. Bake from frozen at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. I earn a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 556mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 7g